POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar : Re: Avatar Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Avatar
From: Warp
Date: 22 Jan 2010 17:00:27
Message: <4b5a1ffb@news.povray.org>
Captain Jack <Cap### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> In acting classes that I have attended as well as taught, we talk about "two
> dimensional characters", "cardboard cutouts", and "characters with no
> depth", all referring to the same thing.

  Btw, was the original expression "two-dimensional character" (meaning a
character with no depth), after which some people started using an
exaggerated version of the expression, "one-dimensional character" in
their desire to say "a really, really flat character", and after years
of using that, it has basically replaced the original expression and thus
everybody nowadays says "one-dimensional character" when they really mean
what "two-dimensional character" meant originally?

  Do I understand correctly that when a character in a story exists basically
for one single purpose (eg. to be a jerk, a greedy executive, a naive
Mary Sue, or such) with no other personality traits or history, and when
this character maintains the role in its purest form throughout the entire
story, it's usually a bad case of two-dimensionality?

--
                                                          - Warp